5 Veg & Lentil Cottage Pie
Prep + cook time: 35 mins
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), chopped finely
- 200g button mushrooms, chopped finely
- 300g extra lean beef mince
- 400g can crushed tomatoes with garlic and herbs
- ½ cup (95g) split red lentils
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 350g cauliflower florets
- 200g peeled sweet potato, diced
- 1/3 cup (40g) shredded light tasty cheese
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Heat a large 24cm ovenproof frying pan (8-cup capacity) over medium-high heat; spray lightly with oil. Cook onion and mushrooms, stirring, for 4 mins or until onion softens.
- Add beef to pan; cook, breaking it up with a spoon, for 5 mins or until evenly browned. Stir in tomato, 11/2 cups (375ml) water, the lentils and worcestershire sauce; simmer over low heat for 15 mins or until lentils are tender and sauce thickens.
- Meanwhile, place cauliflower and sweet potatoin a medium saucepan; cover with water. Bring to boil over high heat; cook for 8 mins or until tender. Drain well. Using a stick blender, blend until smooth; season. Spread mash over top of the frying pan; scatter with cheese.
- Preheat oven grill to high. Cook cottage pie under oven grill for 5 mins or until cheese melts and turns golden. Serve topped with parsley leaves.
Meal prep: Freeze leftover portions in airtight container for up to 1 month
Nutritional count per serving:
7.3g total fat (3.6g saturated fat); 1272kJ (303 cal); 27.2g carbohydrate; 29.8g protein; 8.7g fibre