Prep + cook time: 35 mins
- 8 chicken tenderloins (500g)
- 2 tbsp wholemeal plain flour
- 2 extra-large egg whites (60g each)
- 1 cup (75g) panko (japanese) breadcrumbs
- 30g salt-reduced taco seasoning mix
- 400g can diced tomatoes, strained
- 150g chargrilled peppers, sliced
- 2 baby cos lettuce (260g), quartered lengthways
- ⅓ cup (95g) low-fat greek yoghurt
- ½ small avocado (100g), diced
- 70g low-salt tortilla strips or corn chips
- ½ cup coriander leaves
- 1 lime (65g), halved, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a large oven tray with baking paper.
- Place chicken in a bowl, dust with flour and toss well to coat. Whisk egg whites in a bowl with a fork until frothy. Combine breadcrumbs and taco seasoning in third bowl.
- Dip one piece of chicken at a time in egg white, then in breadcrumb mixture, pressing firmly to coat; transfer to lined tray. Repeat with remaining chicken. Spoon tomato over the middle section of chicken pieces, leaving the ends uncovered. Top with peppers. Bake for 20 mins or until light golden and cooked through.
- Serve chicken schnitzels with lettuce wedges, yoghurt, avocado, tortilla strips and coriander. Squeeze lime juice over from halves and season with pepper.
Nutritional count per serving:
13g total fat (4.2g saturated fat); 1829kJ (437 cal); 37.7g carbohydrate; 37.9g protein; 6.1g fibre