Spiced Carrot & Coconut Dhal
Prep + cook time: 35 mins
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion (150g), sliced thinly
- 1 medium carrot (120g), grated coarsely
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 2 medium tomatoes (300g), diced
- ½ cup (70g) red lentils
- ½ cup (125ml) light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup (90g) microwave brown rice
- 40g baby spinach leaves
- 2 tbsp light coconut milk, extra
- lemon wedges, to serve
- Heat oil in large frying pan over low-medium heat. Cook onion and carrot, stirring, for 5 mins or until softened. Add ginger, garam masala and curry powder; cook for 1 min or until fragrant.
- Stir in half the tomato; cook, stirring, for 3 mins until soft. Add lentils, coconut milk and 1 1/2 cups (375ml) water; simmer, stirring often, over medium heat for 20 mins or until thickened. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, heat rice following packet directions.
- Divide dhal and rice between bowls. Top with remaining tomato and spinach leaves. Drizzle with extra coconut milk; serve with lemon wedges.
Nutritional count per serving
11.9g total fat (4.7g saturated fat); 1521kJ (363 cal); 44g carbohydrate; 13.5g protein; 12.3g fibre